Shake and Bakes are my quarterly check-ins (CHICKENS!). They used to be weekly – but this year they are happening in line with the moon. I use these posts to … shake out the happenings of my work and my life in general in an attempt to Shake off the bad and Bake in the good. It’s about … gratitude, paying attention and now..living by the moon.
~~o~~ New CROW/RAVEN Moon ~~o~~
This moon is known as Moon of Winds (Celtic), Chaste Moon (Medieval England/Wiccan), Worm Moon (Algonquin), Fish Moon (Colonial America), Windy Moon (Cherokee), and Big Famine Moon (Choctaw). According to the Farmer’s Almanac: “the northern tribes knew this Moon as the Full Crow Moon, when the cawing of crows signaled the end of winter; or the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation. To the settlers, it was also known as the Lenten Moon, and was considered to be the last full Moon of winter.”
Crow, Raven and Magpie are close cousins… I’ve a thing for all of them. And in light of a recent set of dreams and recent developments in Sanctuary – I’m going with … Raven Moon for this moonth. I was unsure of this decision until I typed it in. There are nuances … between the Corvid cousins… and I think Raven just took a step forward for me.
A few nights ago, I was inundated with Anxiety Dreams. The dreams where I can’t seem to do the thing I need to do. I’m working in a pub and I can’t get the beer to the table. I’m auditioning for a Big SOMEONE and I haven’t learned the piece at all at all. The main message is clear… “You are not up to the task!”
For a few days I was filled with fear. Letting the worries overwhelm me. Then I felt the presence of Raven.
Now… I feel like this (a fabulous photo by Ester Idelson). Like there is a Raven sitting on my head… with her claws digging into… my hat. Good thing I always wear a hat, eh?
I’ve decided to Trust that she is here for a reason.
Once I knew who it was sitting on my head – it made a wild kind of SENSE.
Raven brings us messages from the spirit world. She brings Magic. She’s a time and space shifter. She’s also been known to be quite the Trickster – so we must stay sharp. (you can find out more – here, here and here)
I’ve finished up the nitty-picky Left brain work on the timeline and structure of Sanctuary and now it’s time to head back in and play with words again. The balance is shifting back to WildMind… and that carries joys… and terrors… for me.
Joy because I will be WRITING and discovering and playing.
Terror because – truth be told I just want to FINISH this F^cker. (Pardonney my swear). And also because… I fear I am not up to the task of bringing to life this amazing story I can ALMOST see in my mind’s eye.
So. Here we are. Me and Raven. Heading in once again to this story. Bid us … well.
OK – on to New Moon Bizness.
Intentions for the New Moon
Θ (theta) earth – home – touch
- Step. Step. Step. I need to stay grounded amidst the WildMind work. It needs to bring the story forward. I need to get through – with clarity as well as magic.
- All the layers. All the journeys. Must come together.
- I must continue to get up off the floor when the whole thing feels a hopeless mess. That is all.
Φ (phi) air – relationships – scent
- There’s time to focus on ourselves and time to focus on others. I intend to … lend a hand… wherever and to whoever I can this moonth. I am often “other focused” – that isn’t really what I mean here. I just mean – keep my eyes open for that person who could use a hand. Or a nice cuppa coffee. That’s all.
Χ (chi) fire – work – vision
- I totally wish that I could set the intention to blast through this second draft and get it back into some kind of actual SHAPE by moon’s end. But I can’t even IMAGINE that. It feels…so huge… so much to be done….
- One bite at a time. right? One freaking bite-at-a-time.
Ξ (ksi) water – health – taste
- This new moon is beginning in Pisces. Some say Pisces brings high creativity ~ of the type that feels almost… channeled in… I’d like some of that – please. I’ll get my butt to the chair and keep my feet firmly planted on the Earth – but I would love some magic FLOW as well. Doesn’t hurt to ask, right?
Ψ (psi) quintessence – spirit – hearing/listening
- My discussions with fellow meditators this past week have lead me to a renewed determination to get myself to the cushion for 2 sits each day.
- I know that this longing for a “schedule of doings” has its own issues. And that my putting meditation on a list of things I MUST DO every day is a bit… WONK… to say the least – but I really do want to give it a whirl. 2 hours per day – JUST for this month. I want to feel the resistance and … go sit anyway. Because… there is something to be found here.
- I shall review this intention (along with all the others) at each quarter and see how it is feeling.
And, with that… we bid farewell to February and wave March fondly onto the stage.
Here’s a lil Celtic Tune … to get your toe tapping.
The days are getting brighter. We are moving toward Spring and Ostara (March 21) is just around the corner. This cold WILL break. And this snow WILL melt. Honest.
Thanks for popping by.
Go easy ~p